- Before 1500 BCE
- 1500 BCE to 500 BCE
- 500 BCE to 500 CE
- Sixth to Tenth Century
- Eleventh to Fourteenth Century
- Fifteenth Century
- Sixteenth Century
- Seventeenth Century
- Eighteenth Century
- Nineteenth Century
- Twentieth Century
- Twenty-first Century
- Geographic Area
- Central America
- Central and North Asia
- East Asia
- North America
- Northern Europe
- South America
- South Asia/South East Asia
- Southern Europe and Mediterranean
- West Asia
- Subject, Genre, Media, Artistic Practice
- African American/African Diaspora
- Ancient Egyptian/Near Eastern Art
- Ancient Greek/Roman Art
- Architectural History/Urbanism/Historic Preservation
- Art Education/Pedagogy/Art Therapy
- Art of the Ancient Americas
- Artistic Practice/Creativity
- Asian American/Asian Diaspora
- Ceramics/Metals/Fiber Arts/Glass
- Colonial and Modern Latin America
- Conceptual Art
- Decorative Arts
- Design History
- Digital Media/New Media/Web-Based Media
- Digital Scholarship/History
- Drawings/Prints/Work on Paper/Artistc Practice
- Fiber Arts and Textiles
- Folk Art/Vernacular Art
- Graphic/Industrial/Object Design
- Indigenous Peoples
- Installation/Environmental Art
- Islamic Art
- Material Culture
- Museum Practice/Museum Studies/Curatorial Studies/Arts Administration
- Native American/First Nations
- Patronage, Art Collecting
- Performance Art/Performance Studies/Public Practice
- Queer/Gay Art
- Sound Art
- Visual Studies
caa.reviews does not accept unsolicited reviews. Reviews are commissioned at the discretion of caa.reviews field editors and editorial board members. Publishers, museums, and galleries may submit books, catalogs, and other review materials for consideration to: Publications Department, CAA, 50 Broadway, Floor 21, New York, NY 10004. Materials submitted for consideration will not be returned.
If you have been commissioned by a caa.reviews field editor to write a review, please follow these guidelines for preparing your text.
Please use Microsoft Word to format your review. You may use italics, boldface, and diacritics, but do not use HTML tags. Reviews will be accepted only as email attachments.
Reviews are not to be longer than 1,500 words. If two books or two exhibitions are being reviewed, the text may contain up to 2,000 words.
For general questions of style, see The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2017). For spelling, refer to Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, 11th edition. CAA house style is based on these authorities, with some variations.
The following information must be provided at the beginning of the review:
- your name, affiliation, and email address
- the total number of words
- for exhibition reviews, please give the name of the institution where the exhibition was seen and the exhibition title; please provide institution names and dates for other exhibition venues
- if an exhibition catalog is reviewed, please give bibliographic information as for book reviews
- author’s name and complete title of book, with a colon between the main title and the subtitle; please provide information about edition or volume, if applicable
- if the publication is part of a series, please provide the series title
- place(s) of publication (if multiple places are listed, the US location is preferred)
- date of publication
- total number of pages in the book, including all front matter and illustrations that do not carry page numbers; if this information cannot be found in the book or on the jacket flap, it can usually be found on the publisher’s website
- number of illustrations (color and/or black and white)
- cloth or paper binding and ISBN number
- price (in US dollars, euros, or other currency)
Mary Phillips, Assistant Professor, Department of Art and Archaeology, Princeton University, email@example.com
Gary Tinterow and Geneviève Lacambre. Manet/Velázquez: The French Taste for Spanish Painting. New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art, in association with Yale University Press, 2003. 608 pp.; 380 color ills.; 349 b/w ills. $75.00 (cloth) (0300098804)
If you are reviewing an exhibition catalog, please provide the complete exhibition schedule, including the institution name, location (city and state or city and country), and complete dates. The format is as follows:
Exhibition schedule: Musée d’Orsay, Paris, France, September 16, 2002–January 12, 2003; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, March 4–June 8, 2003
Please provide URLs to any primary research material in digital form that is cited in your article or for any links you would like incorporated in the text (e.g., museum, academic, or educational sites).
Because of the brief format of these reviews, caa.reviews does not use footnotes or endnotes. Instead, please provide the city, publisher, and date in parentheses when citing a book or quoting a text other than the book or catalog under review, following the cited material.
To cite material quoted from the book or catalog under review, please provide the page number(s) of the quoted material in parentheses following the end of the quote.
Full names should be provided on first mention in the text; surnames thereafter (e.g., Marcel Duchamp, then Duchamp).
A book review should be written within three months of receipt of a book. CAA asks that you return any book you decide not to review so that it may be reassigned. Exhibition reviews are considered part of the scholarly record and are not necessarily published prior to the closing of an exhibition unless arrangements are made with the commissioning field editor in advance.
All reviews published by caa.reviews are the exclusive property of CAA. CAA grants reviewers the right to reprint their texts subsequently in any format, subject to giving proper credit to their original publication in caa.reviews. CAA also generally grants permission for reviews to be reprinted without charge provided proper credit is given to the author and CAA.
If you have any questions, please contact the field editor who commissioned your review or Sally Knapp, CAA’s publications and programs editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for contributing to caa.reviews.